People don't want their lives fixed. Nobody wants their problems solved. Their dramas. Their distractions. Their stories resolved. Their messes cleaned up. Because what would they have left? Just the big scary unknown. - Palahniuk

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Nov. 2, 2008: 1

He resembled a goat as he bleated, "Fuuuuuck, fuuuuck...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck." He was a middle-aged goat, scruffy dirty blonde hair encircling his head, his face, the back of his hands. With his neck stretched forwards above the steering wheel, he squinted at the road, but despite the squinting and the bleating, our headlights continued to dim as the car trundled and sputtered south down I-5.

It was almost midnight, and we were still two hours outside of Sacramento. We had been driving for over 14 hours on a trip that ought to have taken 8. It was no longer possible to find a comfortable sitting position in my seat.

When, having finished telling our entire life stories, having finished sitting in tranquil silence, he had begun asking strange questions, I started to think (I couldn't help but think), I should have known. All those signs--there were so many signs--I should have known.


"Okay, so suppose angels turn into chocolate when they die," he began. Then he paused, thinking, and added, "Don't ask me why they turn into chocolate, or how they die, or why they died, but anyway, suppose that's what happens, and you walked into a dead chocolate angel, would you eat it?"

"No."

"Oh, 'cause, you know, I would," he continued, "Okay, here's another one: If you had to choose between punching your mom in the nose and eating an entire horse, which one would you choose?"

I was tempted just to say, again, "No," but we had many more hours in a small confined space together, so instead I asked, "Is the horse still alive when I'm eating it?"

"Yes."

"That's easy, then, I would punch my mom."

"Really? 'Cause I could never imagine doing that, punching my mom in the nose. I can just picture her face. I could never do that to her."

That was when the speedometer needled began crawling towards zero and the headlights started to fade and the strange goat-man beside me began to bleat.

No comments:

forget the past